When choosing a manual physiotherapist it is important to consider a number of issues:
- Ensure the therapist listens to you, your complaints, your needs and your goals.
- Ensure the therapist explains to you the underlying mechanism of your injury.
- If you are confused by anything your therapist says, ask for clarification and ensure your therapist provides this.
- Watch that your therapist doesn’t “sell” themselves as the answer to your problem. Their role is more to guide you to find the best management strategies.
- Make sure you feel involved within each treatment and are given the opportunity to be involved in the decision making process of self management.
- Ensure you have an adequate period of time allocated for each treatment and that this involves face to face care with your therapist. At least 15-20 minutes is usually the minimum.
- Watch for over servicing. When you feel that no further improvement is happening, the change of focus should be moving towards a self management approach, being guided by your therapist.
If you are looking for a physiotherapist in Newcastle, we suggest that you consider the above mentioned tips before choosing a physio to treat your condition.